Sunday, January 29, 2012

Tuesday, Jan. 24

Have you experienced fear based reactions to your creative career choices?
Yes, many times. Growing up my parents would always mention to my older sibling how their career choices would not give them the life style my parents came to this country for. They always said they wanted more for us and more stability. When my turn came around to apply for colleges and to make decisions on my career choices, my parents questioned everything and tried to have me reconsider my decisions. Eventually they figured out that I would not be moved and my decision had been made about what I wanted to do with my life.

How are you successfully overcoming these reactions?
It is difficult to deal with the reactions at times but I always try to remind myself that I made my choices out of love and passion for the career. It is easy to lose sight of that especially with the instability of the economy and and scarcity of jobs but if I learned anything from my dad and choosing a career is that a job you love is not a job. The idea of being able to do something I enjoy and making a career of it keeps me in my tracks and filters out the negative reactions that can come my way.

The video we saw on Tuesday gave me a new point of view to an issue I often have to deal with. Getting stuck in an art project can be very frustrating and usually thats when my worst work is made. Being able to take some of that weight off of my shoulders and understand that blasts of creativity come at their own time. Clearing my mind and putting in my share of the work is all I need. If I have the creative genes then everything else will come when the time is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment