Sunday, March 4, 2012

Closing In On Winter Quarter

I can look back at the last 8 weeks of the quarter and I'm only able to recall two actual projects that we worked on yet Tuesday's class made me realize that I hadn't just been sitting in class at 8 am for 2 hours drinking coffee and listening to lectures. We started thinking back to all of the concepts that have been covered since week one and as to continue on my post from last week, I see how unconventional this class has really been. Ive learned a lot and a lot of topics have been covered. There was a very long list of ideas, activities, and concepts that we have discussed and learned about but as I try and think back as to which assignment was meant to teach the lesson, I got nothing. This just goes to show that you can learn from the most unexpected people in the most unexpected ways. I can say that I have grown up a lot during this class and I think it had to a lot to do with Jimmy constantly trying to change our perspectives of the reality of the business. We are artists, but the world is not always like the pretty pictures we can make. You have to tend for yourself and have a hunger to grow and be the best. We can only get so far thinking that our art will be enough. We need to be fully invested and put ourselves out there to get where we want to be. I always felt that I was just getting by and having very little confidence in my work. It's still a working progress but looking at the list of concepts that have been covered, I can actually see the progress I have made in this short amount of time. However, I was also able to see how much more I need to go through in order to really be ready for whats in store in my future.
Then came our final project. It was refreshing to know that I wasn't alone being overwhelmed by the lack of ideas for a 1 minute video. 1 minute does not seem very long but I think back to a commercial we made last quarter and 1 minute seemed like an eternity. Fingers crossed that all goes well. We brainstormed together and helped each other refine ideas. It was interesting to see some of the things my classmates were coming up with considering our only instruction was "1 minute video describing our Graphic Design/Visual Communications program". Vague instructions leave plenty of room for imagination and creativity, most of us interpreted the assignment a different way leading us to all go in completely different directions. I look forward to seeing what we all come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment